So summer is finally here!! Just because you are considering bariatric surgery or have had bariatric surgery, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your vacations. Following a few helpful tips can help prevent any vacation weight gain and keep you on track with your plan even while away.
- Bring some high protein foods or snacks with you. Bringing protein bars or ready to drink protein shakes with you on a long car or plane ride can help prevent the temptation of airplane food or snacks. Bring small amounts of nuts or cheese as a healthy high protein snack.
- Investigate menus ahead of time if possible. A lot of restaurants post their menus on line, so looking at them ahead of time and selecting a healthy choice when you’re not hungry is always helpful. When you get to the restaurant don’t even ask for a menu since the more time you spend looking at it, the more times you will change your mind!!
- Make sure you have access to liquids at all times. Always bring water with you, especially in the summer when you lose more fluids due to sweating.
- Planning is key. There are obviously some circumstances where things are out of your control, but try to make the best choices available.
- Try to look for a hotel that has a gym. Even if you go a few days while on vacation you will feel better and keep the routine of exercise going.
- You can always try to bring a resistance band with you. Youtube has great videos that show you what to do with the bands and it is completely free.
- If you’re near a beach or lake, go for a walk. Find something fun and it won’t feel like exercise.
- Mentally prepare your mind to include exercise as a positive and essential part of your trip.
- Make sure you pack comfortable clothes for exercise (to remind you to DO IT!!!).
- Purchase a pill sorter/carrier to bring your essential vitamins/supplements with you for each day you are away. Be sure it’s in something you can carry with you while you are out enjoying yourself.
- Make sure to bring the entire amount to cover the length of time you will be away.
- If you are bringing a protein powder, make sure to bring a shaker container to mix it.
Stay on track strategies
- Prepare diversional activities when faced with temptations. Maybe go for a walk after dinner instead of sitting in front of the desserts. Instead of hitting the midnight buffet on a cruise, try going to the gym, taking a class or go see a show!!
- Try to plan in advance your daily itinerary.
- Treat yourself to non-food indulgences! Go get a spa treatment, manicure, pedicure; buy a new outfit; plan an excursion.
Essentials to pack
- Work out clothes (don’t forget sneakers)
- Books to read in down time
- High protein foods/snacks
- Names of local restaurants if available
While en route
- Be sure to wear loose, comfortable clothing
- Be sure you get up and walk around every hour or so
- Be sure to bring non-carbonated, sugar free liquids
- Avoid stopping at fast food restaurants
Hope you have a wonderful summer and enjoy your vacation!!